A six-time national champion and world ranked Scottish Highland dancer, a former member of Ballet Arizona, and an honors graduate of ASU’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Laura Carruthers develops uniquely beautiful and insightful projects in both theatre and film, that combine her abilities to direct, choreograph, perform, arrange music, and edit. A wild ‘n’ classy originality springs from her fusion of artistic styles and techniques, depth of vision, and collaborative performances with some of the very best in music, dance, and cinematography.
Her concert work, namely Fire & Grace, has sold-out local theaters and toured regionally. Her short musicals, Driven Celtic and Outside In, have screened nationally and abroad, also earning independent film festival nominations and awards. Each project, recorded and/or presented live, shares the inspiration of Celtic music pioneers, including Alasdair Fraser, Capercaillie, and Bad Haggis, industry-leading cinematographers, like James Chressanthis, ASC and Anka Malatynska ASC, and dance masters from Los Angeles to Montréal and NYC. Discover More
More recently, an eclectic cast of twelve, all-star dancers from major companies and Broadway productions joined Carruthers at the Alex Theatre in performances that bring life, color, and character to the vibrant, feature film, Grace Fury: A Voice With Legs. This pinnacle work in fire and grace travels her thoughts, her discoveries, and the elements of her story on a breathtaking flight of dynamic choreography and cinematography. The film has already enjoyed success, among film experts and enthusiasts across the country and abroad, with numerous festival selections and awards, including Best Dance Film, Best Experimental Film, Best Director & Choreographer, and Best Editing. Carruthers released Grace Fury: A Voice With Legs to the public on April 20th.
Competitive Scottish Highland Dance…
- six-time U.S. Champion
- two-time 1st-runner up World Champion
- Scottish Champion
- four-time Western States Open Champion
- five-time winner of the City of Edinburgh Medal
- British Overseas Champion
- Atlantic International Champion
Professional Dance Theatre…
- A Ballet Arizona company member, who performed principal, solo, and ensemble works by iconic choreographers, including George Balanchine, Ben Stevenson, Paul Taylor, and company artistic director, Michael Uthoff.
Independent Production, Direction, Choreography, Performance, and Post-Production…
- The School of the Pennsylvania Ballet, Philadelphia, PA
- The School of Ballet Arizona, Phoenix, AZ
- Catherine Hynd School of Highland Dancing, Manhattan Beach, CA
- Summa cum laude, honors graduate of Arizona State’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. History major. Other areas of academic emphasis included political theory, philosophy, math, and drama.
Other Skills & Interests…
- Video editing
- Graphic design
- Writing (political/social commentary)
- Animal rescue
- Politics (lobbying/campaigning)